Friday, October 24, 2008

Trip to Nebraska

Over UEA holiday I was able to see my life long friend Paula. She moved out to Nebraska to go to dental school and we don't get to see each other enough. When she picked me up at the airport we went to her school and saw where she had been for the last two years of her life. I have never see so many dentist chairs in my life in this single room. This picture only shows a fourth of the room. It was almost creepy like in a bad dream everywhere you look there are dentist drills coming after you.

Anyway, we went on our way and saw where they have the NCAA world series and onto her home.






This is Jacob her little boy and he was so cute. I was staying in their basement and he would open the door and yell "Annie where are you, I love you" and then he would come down and visit me.



Paula is so good at making people feel welcome, she had my room like a hotel with chocolates on the pillow and a basket of things I could use while I was there, so sweet!





On Saturday she surprised me with a facial and massage which was a very nice change from the normal life. ( I need to visit more often)


It was fun for me because we got to go to a whole bunch of places that I have never been. This was at a really good Italian restaurant, but I can't remember the name.











We were able to go to Winter Quarters and see the cemetery, temple and visitors center. It was really cool to see everything that was there. The temple had some really amazing stained glass windows. The head stones at the cemetery were so old that they were worn down and really hard to read. On the bottom of most of them they listed their age with how many years, months and days they lived. It never really accrued to me until that point that most of those people who died were my age or younger. As a kid you hear the stories of the people that lived back then so you picture them as older, but as I get older the standard for old gets older too. I could not imagine what it would have been like to have gone through that.

I was amazed at the detail that they put into the head stone, but they were also the people who came to the valley and carved the stone for the Salt Lake Temple.

No comments: